Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Seems like 10 minutes ago

I love lists, I was reminded yesterday when I heard a radio show host musing about his Top 10 movie soundtracks. I got to thinking, do I KNOW 10 movie soundtracks? Oddly enough, all I could think of was Rodgers and Hammerstein's score from the old TV version of "Cinderella." When I was 10, it was a TV special starring Lesley Ann Warren with her charming crooked smile and the handsomest guy I had ever seen playing the prince. He was dreamy, really. I wanted him with all my heart. But back before VCRs, you'd have to wait for "the repeat," when the network would decide to air the show again. Nevertheless, I fell in love not only with the prince but with the music and still can sing just about every song from that show.

Just last year I learned that the 1965 version was a remake. PBS aired the original 1957 version -- starring Julie Andrews, who was absolutely gorgeous then, with a voice as clear as a child's and a waist as big as my wrist. And although early TV productions were pretty crude fare, filmed with only a camera or two and cardboard sets that looked like a high-school play, there was something wonderful and raw about them.

But back to Lesley Ann and the dreamy prince. These songs still make me weep with prefeminist joy: "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?" and "Ten Minutes Ago." Now close your eyes, pirouette and pucker up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, that's how I felt about The Sound of Music. I mean, I love all the music, and Julie Andrews was so beautiful. Plus, the movie always makes me think of dying eggs at Easter. For some reason, as a kid, the S of M was ALWAYS on t.v. during Holy Week.

I also was a huge fan of Sesame Street and The Muppets, as you know. So, for your viewing and listening pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjSjB-3xPVM

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

Yodlelaydeeyodleahee ho ho! That was hilarious. Now we have to find a Muppet version of "Cinderella" with Julie Andrews.